Partner City

Strathmore

The Village that Moved


Located just east of Calgary, Strathmore began life in the early 1900s as a railway stop for immigrant farmers settling on the surrounding lands. A massive irrigation scheme brought labourers, farmers and businessmen to Strathmore and in 1911 it incorporated as town. In the First World War every single able-bodied man in Strathmore enlisted in the military, the only place in Canada where this occurred. The war took a heavy toll and as the railway diminished in importance growth stalled until after the Second World War. Then Strathmore's proximity to Calgary and location along the Trans-Canada Highway caused another population boom so that now Strathmore is one of the fastest growing towns in Alberta.

Historic Walking Tours


Then and Now Photos

The Stampede Parade The Stampede Parade

Strathmore: The Village that Moved & On This Spot Enterprises

The Stampede Parade - 1930

A fire engine bedecked with Union Jacks drives down Main Street as part of the Stampede Parade.

The Royal Bank The Royal Bank

Glenbow Museum and Archives NA-3774-162 & On This Spot Enterprises

The Royal Bank - 1926

A front view of the Royal Bank of Canada.

Arnold Motors Arnold Motors

Strathmore: The Village that Moved & On This Spot Enterprises

Arnold Motors - 1925

A line of later versions of Model Ts and a tractor have been put on display outside Arnold Motors International Harvesters Dealership.

Crown Lumber Crown Lumber

Strathmore: The Village that Moved & On This Spot Enterprises

Crown Lumber - 1910s

The Crown Lumber Company, affiliated with the Strathmore Trading Company and providing Strathmore with most of its building supplies.

The Engineering Building The Engineering Building

Strathmore: The Village that Moved & On This Spot Enterprises

The Engineering Building - 1910

The CPR Engineering Building, completed in 1910, once stood on this spot.

Hailstorm Damage Hailstorm Damage

Glenbow Museum and Archives NA-3646-7 & On This Spot Enterprises

Hailstorm Damage - 1932

Behind the telephone exchange we can see that a hail storm has taken a shocking toll, knocking down a number of telephone poles here, in addition to many other buildings. The Memorial Hall is visible in both photographs and this photo was taken from the property of the Berry family.

From the West From the West

Strathmore: The Village that Moved & On This Spot Enterprises

From the West - 1912

A panorama view of Strathmore taken from the west, around Westmount School's playing field. While none of the buildings match up, the streets actually do ensuring that this is quite an accurate recreation of perspective. This shot is revealing in that at this early point much of the town has yet to be filled in. The Catholic Church at centre no longer stands, and neither does the United Church with the square tower just to the left of it. However the steeple at far left belongs to the Anglican Church, which does remain.

Across the Pond Across the Pond

Strathmore: The Village that Moved & On This Spot Enterprises

Across the Pond - 1910

Looking from the north across the pond to the demonstration farm.

Irrigation Ditches Irrigation Ditches

Town of Strathmore & On This Spot Enterprises

Irrigation Ditches - 1910s

A man shows how to properly irrigate a ditch at the demonstration farm. The farm buildings can be seen in the background.

A Happy Couple A Happy Couple

Bruce Klaiber Personal Collection & On This Spot Enterprises

A Happy Couple - 1910s

A couple poses for a tender photo in front of the demonstration farm pond.

Potato Picking Potato Picking

Town of Strathmore & On This Spot Enterprises

Potato Picking - 1910s

Labourers pick potatoes on the demonstration farm.

The Frozen Pond The Frozen Pond

Town of Strathmore & On This Spot Enterprises

The Frozen Pond - 1910s

A view of the demonstration farm compound across a frozen pond.

Across the Pond Across the Pond

Glenbow Museum and Archives NA-4592-1 & On This Spot Enterprises

Across the Pond - 1911

Some of the buildings of the Demonstration Farm. Several houses of the farm's caretakers can be seen.


These photos and tours are possible through the generous support of our partners.

Top