Partner City

Stonewall

Where Limestone was King

Located 25 kilometers north of Winnipeg, Stonewall got its start in the 1880s as an industrial town with a multinational workforce who toiled in the limestone quarries. The quarries and the limestone kilns that served them are the foundation upon which the Town of Stonewall was built. Although the production of lime ceased in the 1960s Stonewall still proudly celebrates its quarry roots with a Main Street lined with notable limestone buildings and a former quarry that has been developed into a heritage recreational park.

These photos and tours are possible through the generous support of our partners.

Historic Walking Tours


Then and Now Photos

The Church of the Ascencion The Church of the Ascencion

Stonewall: Turning a Century, Plate 17 & On This Spot Enterprises

The Church of the Ascencion - ca. 1890s

Built in 1882, shortly after the town of Stonewall was incorporated, the Anglican Church was built. Over the years it was added on to as to accomodate the community.

The Registry Office The Registry Office

Stonewall: Turning a Century, Plate 28 & On This Spot Enterprises

The Registry Office - ca. 1890s

Known originally as the Rockwood Registry Office, this building was constructed in 1882 of Stonewall limestone. The building has since been both a railway station and residence.

Jackson Avenue North Jackson Avenue North

Stonewall: Turning a Century, Plate 43 & On This Spot Enterprises

Jackson Avenue North - ca. 1900s

Simpson Morgan's and Brown's Hardware stand side by side on the left of this photo showing us an early view of Stonewall with dirt roads and all.

West Side of Jackson West Side of Jackson

Stonewall: Turning a Century, Plate 31 (3) & On This Spot Enterprises

West Side of Jackson - ca. 1900s

Look at the west side of Jackson Ave. we can see more brick and stone structures. As the town grew people realized that the threat of fire on the prairies was prevalent and constructing with brick and stone minimized loss by fire.

Tram Station Tram Station

Stonewall Quarry Park Archives & On This Spot Enterprises

Tram Station - ca. 1900s

A streetcar stands parked at the station. On the right we can see some of the early Stonewall homes.

Horses in the Quarry Horses in the Quarry

Stonewall Quarry Park Archives & On This Spot Enterprises

Horses in the Quarry - ca. 1900s

Worker along with their horses and wagons in the Stonewall Quarries.

Road to the Kilns Road to the Kilns

Stonewall Quarry Park Archives & On This Spot Enterprises

Road to the Kilns - ca. 1910s

Looking up at the kilns from the service road we can see the towering kilns still smoking.

Bicycle in the Quarry Bicycle in the Quarry

Stonewall Quarry Park Archives & On This Spot Enterprises

Bicycle in the Quarry - ca. 1910s

A bicycle leans against a fence from a point overlooking the quarries. We can see the kilns in the background.

Jackson Avenue Jackson Avenue

Stonewall: Turning a Century, Plate 53 & On This Spot Enterprises

Jackson Avenue - 1922

Looking south down Jackson Ave we can see a commerical street in Stonewall during the 1920s.

Main Street, Stonewall Main Street, Stonewall

Stonewall: Turning a Century, Plate 87 & On This Spot Enterprises

Main Street, Stonewall - 1940

Looking south on Main Street we can see on the right a tower that held the curfew bell in town.

Kinsmen Lake Kinsmen Lake

Stonewall: Turning a Century, Plate 96 & On This Spot Enterprises

Kinsmen Lake - ca. 1956-1960

The Kinsmen Club in Stonewall put in the effort to redeem one of the Stonewall quarries and turn it into a recreation area with a man-made lake. The park opened in 1956.

Anglican Church Choir Anglican Church Choir

Stonewall: Turning a Century, Plate 100 & On This Spot Enterprises

Anglican Church Choir - 1961

The Anglican Church Choir gathers outside of the church for a group picture.

Stonewall Fire Hall Stonewall Fire Hall

Stonewall: Turning a Century, Plate 104 & On This Spot Enterprises

Stonewall Fire Hall - 1965

The new firehall was built in 1965. Darcy Morton, the fire chief, stands beside one of the two fire engines in Stonewall.


Top