By the Sea
Since time immemorial the place that is today known as Sidney has been home ot the W̱SÁNEĆ First Nation, a Straits Salish people, who developed a thriving and complex culture that benefited from the abundant sea life of the region. Europeans began settling here in the 1860s and 1870s to farm, and in 1891 the Brethour Brothers subdivided their farm lots into a townsite. Soon after industries began to develop in Sidney, centered on the waterfront around Beacon Avenue. These included a sawmill, shingle mill, cannery, a network of wharves. These were also connected by railway to Victoria in 1894 by the Victoria and Sidney Railway. These industries began to shut down after the First World War, but the community remained and was incorporated as a town in the 1950s.
Today Sidney is a quiet seaside village known for its beautiful vistas, many bookstores, and popular marinas.
This project is a partnership with the Sidney Business Improvement Area Society and the Sidney Museum & Archives.
We respectfully acknowledge that Sidney, or SET,TINES as it is known in SENĆOŦEN, is on the traditional territory of the W̱SÁNEĆ First Nation.
Then and Now Photos
Bank & Post Office
Sidney Museum & Archives P1991.49.9
Sidney Museum & Archives P1975.36.1
East End of Beacon
Sidney Museum & Archives P1991.7.1
Conservative Committee Rooms
Sidney Museum & Archives P1993.2.1
Sidney Museum & Archives P1991.33.1
Clam Shell Mountain
Sidney Museum & Archives P1981.5.8
Beached Minke Whale
Sidney Museum & Archives P1991.47.1
Sidney Museum & Archives 2019.47.43
Corner of Beacon & 3rd
Sidney Museum & Archives P1993.38.1