Located at the mouth of the Seguin River and with a protected harbour,means, Parry Sound has been a gathering place for First Nations peoples for centuries prior to the arrival of Europeans. From the 1850s the growth of logging, and then mining, spurred development of the town as a hub to access northern Ontario's hinterland. After World War II Parry Sound became the heart of cottage country in Ontario, and thousands of tourists visit the town every year.
This project is a partnership with the Parry Sound Business Association and the West Parry Sound District Museum.
We respectfully acknowledge that Parry Sound is on the traditional territories of the Anishinabewaki and Huron-Wendat peoples.
Then and Now Photos
Mike Morden Collection
A view of Parry Sound's Harbour including the Town Dock, taken from the tower at Tower Hill.
Trestle Over Houses
West Parry Sound District Museum 1998.032.002
Two boys stand on the street of this recently constructed neighbourhood, with the railway trestle looming in the background.
Bridge from the East
West Parry Sound District Museum 1998.032.003
A photo of the railway trestle as seen from the east side of the river. The river is filled with logs waiting to be milled at the sawmill.
Belvedere Hill View
Mike Morden Collection
A group of people enjoy the view of Georgian Bay from Belvedere Hill.
West Parry Sound District Museum 1998.033.001
Beatty's grocery store in Parry Sound's early days. This store was the heart of the community, and the man who built it, William Beatty, who lent his name to the intersection of James and Seguin.
The Post Office
West Parry Sound District Museum 2001.016.1142
A group of people standing in front of Parry Sound's post office shortly after it was completed.
View Down James St.
West Parry Sound District Museum 2001.016.1170
A view down quiet James Street, showing the Oddfellows Hall at right, and the Beatty Store at left.
Steaming into Dock
West Parry Sound District Museum 2001.016.1336
Several men stand and watch a steamer pulling into the Town Dock.
West Parry Sound District Museum 2001.016.1498
Buildings on James Street, showing the Oddfellows Hall at right and the Beatty Store at the far left. You can see several early cars parked along the block.
West Parry Sound District Museum 2001.016.1558
A horse-drawn fire engine departs the fire station, with a boy along for the ride.
The Hawkins Bros
West Parry Sound District Museum 2001.016.1590
Three men and their buggy pose in front of the Hawkins Bros store, which sold flour and animal feed.
Boys by the River
West Parry Sound District Museum 2001.016.1956
Three boys play on a piece of railway equipment in the shadow of the train trestle. Notice how Tower Hill has been denuded of trees.