Strathmore, Alberta

Page 3

Tap or Mouse over Photo Tape outside to return to present
Strathmore: The Village That Moved.

1925: The unveiling of Strathmore's cenotaph in 1925. Strathmore is remarkable because every single eligible man who lived in the town enlisted in the military in 1914, the only place in Canada where this happened.

Strathmore: The Village That Moved. Page 66.

1926: On the cenotaph are inscribed the names of 35 of Strathmore's sons who never returned from the war. Behind it is a German field gun that was one of thousands captured at the end of the war and hauled back to Canada to be put on display in every corner of the country. Most of them were melted down during World War II to make new weapons. After that war another plaque was added to the bottom with the names of those who died in the Second World War.

Glenbow Museum and Archives NA-3646-7.

1932: Behind the telephone exchange we can see that a hail storm has taken a shocking toll, knocking down a number of telephone poles here, in addition to many other buildings. The Memorial Hall is visible in both photographs and this photo was taken from the property of the Berry family.

Strathmore: The Village That Moved. Page 99.

1925: The Alberta Goverment Telephone office before the sloped roof was added.

Strathmore: The Village That Moved. Page 85.

1936: A woman plays with her dog after a massive dump of snow outside of the Superior Meat butcher.

Strathmore: The Village That Moved. Page 273.

1920s: The Berry family posing for a photo on their tennis court which once stood on this spot. You can see the bank building in the background that still stands today. At centre are Ada and George Berry and their daughter Gladys. Their son Hugh is on the horse, and Gladys' husband Harold Morgan is at far left. This photo was probably taken after the war, as George and Ada's eldest son Herbert isn't present. The letters between Herbert and his mother as he was away at the front have been preserved and allow us to follow the story of this family through the war. They feature prominently in the "Strathmore at War" walking tour within the app.

Strathmore: The Village That Moved. Page 99.

1910s: The Crown Lumber Company, affiliated with the Strathmore Trading Company and providing Strathmore with most of its building supplies.

Strathmore: The Village That Moved. Page 87.

1940s: Hughes Motors was one of the many iterations of car dealerships on this block. See how the roof of the building at right shows us we have the correct spot.

Glenbow Museum and Archives PA-3689-22.

1910: Another look up Main Street from pioneer times. Strathmore's dramatic growth over the last 40 years has reshaped the town again. For decades Strathmore remained a town of much less than 1,000, centered on the railway station and serving the surrounding farmers. Today over 13,000 people call this place home, mostly in rapidly expanding suburbs. The centre of gravity has moved from 2nd Avenue to the strip malls lining the Trans-Canada Highway, while most of the city's residents drive to Calgary every day to work. Amidst all the surging growth, it can be easy to miss the few remaining signs of the small farming community that this place once was.

1
2
3

Share

Follow


Don't miss these and many other Then and Now Photo Series from around the world